Our intent is to ensure that each student acquires the necessary knowledge, skills and character to make a positive contribution to society and thrive as a global citizen.
We aim to:
- Create a learning environment which fosters curiosity and enthusiasm;
- Create a learning environment where pupils feel secure, confident and can realise their potential;
- Encourage the development of high levels of spiritual and moral values related to self-discipline, responsibility and respect;
- Promote independent thinking and a desire for life-long learning;
- Ensure that students develop the essential literacy, numeracy and communication skills necessary for the modern world;
- Encourage and facilitate the development of a variety of skills through extra-curricular activity.
KSHS is committed to providing a rigorous academic and intellectual education which will challenge and engage pupils and meet the statutory requirements of the National Curriculum. The aim is to provide all students with a secure foundation on which to continue into Higher Education and into careers of their choice.
A broad, well balanced curriculum is vital preparation for the future. All pupils will therefore study the following subjects to GCSE alongside several optional subject of their choice in Years 10 and 11:
- English Language and English Literature;
- A Language Subject – French or German;
- A Humanities Subject – History or Geography.
Also PE (Physical Education) and PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) which will include aspects of careers guidance, will be taught to all Key Stage 4 students. They will also study Religious Education which leads to a qualification at GCSE level.
Entry to all programmes of study is based on academic suitability and appropriateness, regardless of sex (for post 16 only), race, disability, religion or belief.
Disabilities: In accordance with statutory requirements the school aims to make the curriculum accessible to all students as far as is reasonably practicable. The school has an Accessibility Plan which is available to parents on request.
Organisation of the Curriculum at KSHS
Our taught curriculum is delivered through a two week timetable to ensure diversity and flexibility. Each day is divided up into five taught periods. In addition to the scheduled lessons there is a twenty minute Tutor registration period in the morning. The tutorial time allows for the delivery of assemblies or tutor based topics:
- Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (including sex and relationships education).
- Careers guidance and enterprise education.
|8.45||Registration/ Assembly/ Form Tutor Time|
|3.30||End of school day|
To review our latest policies, please view the Policies section of the website.