Key Stage 4 - Physics
Exam board: AQA Physics (8463)
Aims of the course
The GCSE in Physics offered at KSHS is in line with the AQA qualification.
The specification gives candidates the opportunity to:
- Develop their scientific thinking.
- Use experimental skills and strategies.
- Apply the cycle of collecting, presenting and analysing data.
- Use scientific vocabulary, quantities, units, symbols and nomenclature.
- Demonstrate a range of mathematical skills.
Students begin their GCSE course in Year 9 when they have 1 lesson per week of Physics. Students are allocated 3 hours per fortnight in Year 10 and 4 in Year 11 for their Physics studies.
The course is divided into 8 main topic areas:
- Particle model of matter
- Atomic structure
- Magnetism and electromagnetism
- Space physics
Paper 1 50% of final grade
Written examination 1 hour 45 minutes in duration covering topics 1 to 4: Electricity; Particle model of matter; and Atomic structure. Student questions include multiple choice, structured, closed short answer and open response.
Paper 2 50% of final grade
Written examination 1 hour 45 minutes in duration covering topics 5 to 8: Forces; Waves; Magnetism and electromagnetism; and Space physics. Student questions include multiple choice, structured, closed short answer and open response.