Key Stage 4 - Music
Course Specification: EDEXCEL - 1MU0
The GCSE in Music offered at KSHS is in line with the Edexcel qualification.
The specification gives candidates the opportunity to
- engage actively in the process of music study
- develop performing skills individually and in groups to communicate musically with fluency and control of the resources used
- develop composing skills to organise musical ideas and make use of appropriate resources
- recognise links between the integrated activities of performing, composing and appraising and how this informs the development of music
- broaden musical experience and interests, develop imagination and foster creativity
- develop knowledge, understanding and skills needed to communicate effectively as musicians
- develop awareness of a variety of instruments, styles and approaches to performing and composing
- develop awareness of music technologies and their use in the creation and presentation of music
- recognise contrasting genres, styles and traditions of music, and develop some awareness of musical chronology
- develop as effective and independent learners with enquiring minds
- reflect on and evaluate their own and others’ music
- engage with and appreciate the diverse heritage of music, in order to promote personal, social, intellectual and cultural development.
Students are allocated 5 hours per fortnight of timetable time in Years 10 and 11 for their Music studies.
The course content is divided into 3 areas:
- Performing - 30% of qualification
- Composing - 30% of qualification
- Appraising - 40% of qualification